Thursday, October 4, 2012

Unexpected expense

My poor pup, jake is very sick!!!

On Friday, I was getting ready to go out to my parents house ... Usually jake follows me to the door barking because he wants to go and get in the car too.... This was not the case Friday. Before I went to leave I let the dogs out one last time and jake just went and laid down in the flower bed... I figured he was just tired and with the change in the weather his old bones were just tired so I left him at home...

Fast forward to Sunday and Brian and I were gone almost all day for my dads birthday. I asked our dog sitter to stop by to play with the dogs and let them out for an hour and our dog sitter said jake wouldn't get up off the floor. Normally jake is ecstatic to see Kayla and Barks his head off! We got home Sunday night and found him the same way.

Jake is notorious for getting ear infections so I looked in his ears to see if they might be bothering him... I couldn't tell so we decided to let him sleep it off and would call the vet the next morning... Well he was pretty much completely lethargic the next day and kept falling down when he was standing up...

So we take him in to our vet... He proceeds to remind me that jake is a very old dog (12-15 years) and he might just have some bad arthritis coupled with the rainy weather and you get a lethargic dog....he decided to do some blood work and take his temp... Well after having a 102degree fever the doc asked to keep our buddy, jake over night to wait on his blood work....

He was diagnosed with a "tick-born disease" ... There are 10 differen ones (Ricky mountain spotted fever, Lymes disease, etc.) they are all treated the same! So our pup is home with lots of expensive meds and he should be getting better in a few days... Getting better means getting up on his own to do things other than eat and go outside to potty...

So far he is Doing well taking his $150 prescribed meds that we have to get refilled next week that he will be on for one month! But regardless of the expense i am so glad that he is doing ok and that what he has is treatable!!!

I don't know what I would do without my jake!!! He is pretty lazy right now but he should be back to his more mobile lazy self in a few days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment