Friday, August 10, 2012

Eat That Frog

So I got my MBA in December 2011 and started my first ever, real world, full-time 9-5 job. I was used to working 20-40 hours/week while going to school full-time with lots of homework, papers and projects to occupy my time. I was really concerned about my emotions post-graduation. I’m used to being busy. I like being busy. I find myself getting bored more often than not.
I started making a list of all the books I would now have time to read after graduate school was over. I sped through that list fairly quickly! Once I finished the list I began looking for other things to read. I felt like my mind wasn’t as sharp as it used to be since most of the reading I had been doing was certainly not for educational purposes. I stumped upon “eat that frog” and purchased it off amazon and dove right into it. This book seriously helped shape so many of my habits and so far I have achieved several goals that I set for myself.


Essentially the books tells you to rank your tasks whether they are daily, monthly, weekly or yearly tasks. They can also be personal or work related tasks. You rank them in priority and then again based on what should get done first. Eat the biggest, ugliest, most time-consuming frog (task) first. IN other words… tackle those things that you dread most first… then each subsequent task gets easier. IT sounds simple… and you probably already know this… but sometimes you really need a big push to get moving in the right direction.
Here are my 10 goals that I made for myself… I won’t’ show you too many specifics or how I ranked them but I will show you how many I have crossed off the list: (oh yeah and I’ll probably omit the names of my CCs and my goal weight)
10 Goals:
Weigh ___ amount (aka. The same as I weighed on our wedding day)
Pay off ___ CC
Pay off ___CC
Run 3 miles
Buy new Car
Continuous Education Opps.
Community Involvement
Take a vacation
Board/leadership Opp
Religious Fulfillment

As you can see, all but 2 items are crossed off the list. I have one more CC to pay off and the last one, “religious fulfillment” is going to be an ongoing exercise. I don’t think this will ever be crossed off my list. The reason this made my list is because I feel like I have lived pretty selfishly these past years and have not given enough thanks to God for all that I have whether they be experiences, relationships, or other life milestones. I set out to do more than have quiet time for prayer at night and am still working on the ins and outs to becoming a more religiously fulfilled individual.
This list has done so much more for me than I could have imagined. I weight what I want to weigh but also I’m healthy, I ran my first 5k and I’m currently training for a 10k. I have paid off one CC and am still working on the other and have started a monthly budget spending and savings plan. I have built in education opportunities that will help me excel at work through online learning. I took on a leadership role within my sorority alumnae group. The list goes on and on… Thankfully we still have 4 more months in this year for me to continue to fulfill my goals and make new ones along the way!
So go out and Eat That Frog!

No comments:

Post a Comment