Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Smoke Signal

Today was kind of a rough work day. I'm constantly trying to find my place in my workgroup. I want to make sure that the work i'm doing adds value and that it is something that only I can do well. Of course I try to make sure I can do a litle bit of everything acroos the tasks of our workgroup to show that i am versatile.

So, today I thought I had reached my breaking point of trying to find that fine balance between being an expert in one thing and being an extremely versatile employee... The underlying question in my head is... which employee will be most valued by my company... the one who is a subject matter expert in XYZ or the well-rounded employee who knows a little something within several areas... The survival of the fittest side of me says that the subject matter expert employee coud never be replaced so that's who I should strive to be... But I just want to learn a lot of things and be able to work in many groups and areas within my company..

I was really strugling with this today... I hadn't planned on bearing my burdens and concerns to my family.. until they called to check-in and my dad read me this short story which really helped me to stop worrying and know that I can handle whatever is put in front of me:

"The Shipwreck"

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him, and every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming.

Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements and to store his few possessions. But then one day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky.

The worst had happened; everything was lost. He was stunned with grief and anger. "God, how could you do this to me!" he cried.

 
Early the next day, however, he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him. "How did you know I was here?" asked the weary man of his rescuers. "We saw your smoke signal," they replied.

It is easy to get discouraged when things are going badly. But we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of pain and suffering. Remember, next time your little hut is burning to the ground--it just may be a smoke signal that summons The Grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment